Search This Blog

Sunday, February 23, 2020

My Favorite Book of Winter 2020 (So Far)



The Sun Down Motel by Simone St. James
     Release Date: February 18, 2020
     Read from: 2/7/20 - 2/9/20
     Format: Print (My January 2020 BOTM pick)
     My Rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars

     Goodreads Rating: 4.21 stars

     There was a major lapse in getting my review for this one up on the blog! So far, between all the books I read before this and the books since, this one is my favorite, and I think it might just be the favorite for the entire winter. I'm about to head off on a cruise, so I wanted to get this one up, since I already have the review written, before we leave. This book was just released to the public so grab it up right away!

Just woah.

     I could not stop reading this book. Absolutely flew through it. I can't completely pinpoint to you why it didn't get the 5 star rating, even though it was really close, just that it didn't quite reach that feeling. But I really did love this book and am so glad I chose it for my January Book of the Month Club pick.

     The story is told from two points of view. One from Vivian Delaney in 1982, and then Carly, Vivian's future niece in 2017. After the death of her mother, Carly is left with no answers about what happened to her aunt when she mysteriously disappeared from the Sun Down Motel during an overnight shift. Her mother would never talk about it, and now Carly is taking it upon herself to travel to Fell, NY, where the motel is located, to see what she can dig up. Her first stop is the apartment where he aunt Viv lived when she was in town, and wouldn't you know, he current resident, Heather, is looking for a roommate. They then visit the Sun Down and find out that they're hiring for the night shift. So fearless Carly takes the job, and during her first shift, she quickly learns that something other worldly is also present with her at the hotel.

     Back in 1982, Viv learns the same thing, and she is determined to figure out what is going on. Who is here with her, and why. There aren't a lot of guests at the Sun Down. At least no one honest or safe. And one person in particular, who never puts their correct name down when they check in, catches her interest as someone who may be the root of the answers she's looking for.

     The story is scary, but not quite the type that made me afraid to read it at night, so maybe that's why it didn't hit 5 stars for me. In 1982 Viv is investigating a string of cold case murders from the past decade on her own that she is convinced are connected, even though the night cop in town doesn't really believe her. Carly also comes across these names in her research. She learns that there were A LOT of deaths and disappearances in this town; her aunt among them. She sets out to figure out if they're connected in any way.

     Both girls in separate decades find allies along the way, but not all are necessarily trust worthy, or forthcoming with the truth. It's hard to tell who to trust.

     The ending to me was a surprise. I figured it could possibly be the answer but it really wasn't my first choice. To me, it was kind of crazy. The way it unraveled was great. I felt like it wasn't too slow of a reveal, and not too fast. There was an epilogue as well to give us a few more of the answers I felt like I was left without when the story ended.

     Overall, this may just be my most favorite book of 2020 so far. I won't be surprised if it makes my Top Reads list for the year!

No comments:

Post a Comment